Born in Balali village of Charkhi Dadri district, Haryana, Geeta Phogat’s father Mahavir Singh Phogat, a former wrestler himself and a Dronacharya Award recipient, is also her coach. Babita Kumari, her sister, and Vinesh Phogat, her cousin, are also Commonwealth Games gold medalists.
Both athletes won gold medals in their respective categories in the 2014 edition of the Commonwealth Games. Ritu Phogat, another younger sister of Geeta Phogat, is an international-level wrestler who won a gold medal at the 2016 Commonwealth Wrestling Championship.
Sangita Phogat, her youngest sister, is also a wrestler. She married wrestler Pawan Kumar on 20 November 2016. The couple’s first child, a boy, was born in December 2019.
Geeta Phogat is available on Twitter @geeta_phogat
Five enthralling facts about Geeta Phogat:-
1. Freestyle wrestler Geeta Phogat won India’s first-ever gold medal in wrestling at the Commonwealth Games in 2010. She is the first Indian female wrestler to have qualified for the Olympic Summer Games.
2. In April 2012, Phogat won a gold medal in the Wrestling FILA Asian Olympic Qualification Tournament that concluded in Almaty, Kazakhstan.
She has undergone rigorous training at the Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports (NSNIS) in Patiala under the guidance of chief coach O.P. Bhatia. Yadav, along with foreign expert Ryan Dobo.
3. Biography of Geeta Phogat has been shown in Aamir Khan’s movie “Dangal” in which Fatima Sana Sheikh has played the role of Geeta Phogat.
4. In the 2012 World Wrestling Championships held in Canada, the bronze medal was won by Phogat.
5. Phogat lost to her Japanese opponent Kanako Murata in a 5:0 scoreline in the first round of the 2012 Asian Wrestling Championships. Phogat won the bronze medal in the 55 kg after beating Sumiya Erdenechimeg from Mongolia 3:1 in the bronze medal round, with the Japanese grappler entering the finals.