Cockroach infestation can be a serious problem in homes. The American Pest Control Association has taken steps to combat this issue by providing the following tips: keep your home clean, remove piles of paper and clutter, and seal cracks and crevices.
What are Cockroaches?
Cockroaches are a common household pest that can be difficult to get rid of. They are small, brown insects that feed on human and animal food. Cockroaches can create a lot of mess, and they can also transmit diseases. How to keep cockroaches away from your home is an important step in preventing them from becoming a problem. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Keep your kitchen clean: A cluttered kitchen is a perfect habitat for cockroaches. Clean up your countertops and surfaces regularly to make it harder for them to hide.
- Use DEET-based insecticides: Cockroaches are sensitive to insecticides, so using one that contains DEET is an effective way to keep them away. Make sure to apply the insecticide before you see any signs of cockroach activity, and reapply as needed.
- Seal cracks and crevices: Cockroaches like to crawl through small openings, so make sure to seal any cracks or crevices in your home that they might use as escape routes. This includes around windows and doors, inside pipes and electrical boxes, and behind appliances.
- Get rid of food sources: Cockroaches need to eat, so make sure that food is removed from areas where they can crawl. Seal garbage cans, put away food in sealed containers, and clean up any spills immediately.
- Keep a clean kitchen: Clean up spills and dirty dishes immediately to reduce the number of places cockroaches can hide.
- Don’t forget pet food: Cockroaches love pet food, so make sure to dispose of spoiled or old portions right away once you notice the smell getting stronger.
Symptoms of an Infestation
If you have a cockroach infestation, there are some definite signs that you need to take action. Here are four of the most common symptoms you should be on the lookout for:
- Cockroaches are appearing in unusual places. They may be coming out of the walls or ceilings, or they may be sneaking into new areas of your home.
- You’re seeing more cockroaches than ever before. If there’s never been an issue with cockroaches before, chances are there is now.
- There’s a strong smell of roach feces or urine in the air. This usually indicates that there are too many cockroaches for them to easily get rid of on their own and that something needs to be done about it soon.
- You’re seeing dead or abandoned cockroaches all around your home. If you see this happening, it means that there’s an imminent danger to your health and/or property if left unchecked.
Why do Cockroaches like to live around Humans?
Cockroaches are opportunistic insects that thrive in environments with a high level of human activity. In the wild, cockroaches will commonly live near people to scavenge food and avoid predators. However, the presence of humans also provides cockroaches with opportunities for shelter, food, and reproduction. So what makes cockroaches so attracted to living around humans?
There are a few key factors:
Cockroaches are efficient scavengers. They can eat almost anything, and they enjoy eating human food, which is full of nutrients and carbohydrates. Cockroaches also like warm environments. In cold climates, they will hibernate under insulation or in sheltered areas near warm bodies like fires or ovens. But in warmer climates, they will often live close to people because it’s warmer and more comfortable.
Cockroaches also like moisture. They’ll often live in areas where there is a lot of moisture (like kitchens or bathrooms). This is because cockroaches are able to extract water from objects using their sucking mouthparts. So living near people means that cockroaches have easy access to human food and water, as well as shelter from the elements.
How to keep Them away
The best way to keep cockroaches away from your food is to keep your food clean. Cockroaches like to eat dirty food, so make sure to keep your countertops clean and your kitchen clean. You can also use natural products such as peppermint oil or garlic to keep cockroaches away.
How to get rid of Them.
If you have a problem with roaches, then you should look for a poison that is made specifically for killing roaches. These poisons can be bought at many different stores but it is highly recommend that you use a professional exterminator to help control cockroaches in your home.
There are many great reasons to put cockroaches in your home, but the fact is that if you do not have a plan for keeping them out then you are going to have a problem. If you want your home to be completely pest free, then it is important that you hire a professional exterminator as soon as possible. If you are able to keep the roach population under control, then you can enjoy the benefits of having live cockroaches in your home.