Dilip Kumar has been a famous actor of Indian cinema, he is also known by the name of Tragedy King, he was born on December 11, 1922 in Peshawar city of Pakistan, his childhood name was ‘Mohammed Yusuf Khan’. His family came to Mumbai during Partition, after that Dilip sahib settled here, since then he still lives in Mumbai, at present (Dec 2020) his age is 98 years. He has been a very famous actor of his time. He was suffering from an illness for a long time and on 7th July 2021 he left us . He started his career with the Hindi film “Jwar Bhata” in the year 1944, Qila was his last film.
Family of Dilip Kumar
His father’s name was Lala Ghulam Sarwar, who was a famous landowner and fruit trader of his time, mother’s name was Ayesha Begum. Nasir Khan was his brother and his sisters are Fauzia Khan, Sakina Khan, Taj Khan, Farida Khan, Saeeda Khan and Akhtar Asif. His wife is actress Saira Banu. He was also married to Asma Rehman, later they got divorced. Regarding children, this is not applicable.
Dilip Kumar – Brief Introduction
- Real Name – Muhammad Yusuf Khan
- Present Name – Dilip Kumar
- Nickname – Tragedy King
- Profession – Actor
- Born – 11 December 1922
- Birthplace – Peshawar, North-West Frontier Province, British India
- Present – Mumbai, India
- Home Address – 34/B, Pali Hill, Nargis Dutt Road, Bandra (West), Mumbai
- His hobby was cooking.
- Debut film – Jwar Bhata (1944)
- First successful film “Andaz” (1949)
- The first film as a lead actor was “Amar” (1954).
- Meena Kumari and Nalini Jaywant were the actresses of his choice.
- Cricket was his favorite sport.
- Kamini Kaushal has been his girlfriend.
- Net worth – around 400 crores
Education of Dilip Kumar
Dilip Kumar did his early education from Barnes School, Devlali, Nashik District, Maharashtra, information about his studies is not known. At that time people did not read and write much, so Dileep also did not study much and came into the world of cinema.
Dilip Kumar Career
Dilip Kumar first started his film career with acting as an actor in the film Jwar Bhata, after that he appeared in Mughle Azam, Devdas, Ram Aur Shayam, Naya Daur, Madhumati, Paigam, Karma, Andaz, Ganga Jamuna. , Shakti, Saudagar, Azad, Dil Diya Dard Liya, Kranti, Kohinoor, Sangharsh, Masal, Daag, Deewar, Qila, Jew, Mazdoor, Leader, Duniya, Kanoon Apna Apna, Jugunu, Mela and Gopi.
In the year 1947, Dileep’s first big hit film was “Jugnu” opposite actress Noor Jahan.
- Jogan (1950)
- Bustle (1951)
- Tarana (1951)
- Deedar (1951)
- Daag (1952)
- Aan (1952)
- Udan Khatola (1955)
- Devdas (1955)
- Madhumati (1958)
- Jew (1958)
In 1953, he became the first actor to receive the Filmfare Best Actor Award.
Interesting information related to Dilip Kumar
- Dilip Kumar has 12 siblings.
- In the year 1930, his family moved from Peshawar to Mumbai.
- Around the year 1940, Dilip had some dispute with his father due to which he left his house and started living in Pune.
- Dilip Kumar built a sandwich stall at Sena Club in Pune.
- At that time, Dilip Kumar came to Bombay with 5000 Indian rupees.
- Ashok Kumar had helped a lot in furthering Dileep’s acting.
- On the request of Devika Rani, he changed his name from Yusuf to Dilip.
- Devika Rani asked him to play the lead role in the film “Jwar Bhata”.
- Dilip Kumar is called ‘Tragedy King’ because of his serious characters.
- In the year 1947, Dilip Kumar acted for the first time with his wife Saira Banu in the film “Gopi”.
- From 1976 to 1981, he did not get to work in any film.
- The Government of India has honored him with Padma Bhushan in the year 1991, Dadasaheb Phalke in the year 1991 and Padma Vibhushan in the year 2015.
- In the year 1997, Dileep was also awarded the Nishan-e-Imtiaz Award, the highest civilian award by the Government of Pakistan.
- In the year 1993, Dilip Sahab also received the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award.
- From 2000 to 2006, he was nominated as a member of the Rajya Sabha of the Indian National Congress party.
- Dilip Kumar has also got a chance to create a Guinness World Record for maximum awards as an actor.
- In the year 2013, Dilip Kumar along with his wife has also made a pilgrimage to Haj Mecca Medina.
- At present, he has become very old, and remains ill too.