Giriraj Singh, a prominent figure in Indian politics, has made significant contributions to the nation’s development and governance. Serving as the Minister of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj in the 23rd Ministry of India, he has played a pivotal role in shaping policies and initiatives aimed at rural empowerment and grassroots governance. In this article, we delve into the life and political career of Giriraj Singh, a dedicated leader committed to the welfare of the people.
Giriraj Singh was born on September 8, 1952, in Barahiya town in Bihar’s Lakhisarai district. He is the son of Ramavtar Singh and Tara Devi. His academic journey led him to graduate from Magadh University in 1971. Giriraj Singh is a family man, married to Uma Sinha, and they have a daughter together.
Giriraj Singh’s political journey has been marked by dedication and commitment to public service. He has held various important positions throughout his career, contributing significantly to both state and national governance.
- Cooperative Minister (2005-2010): He served as the Cooperative Minister in the Government of Bihar from 2005 to 2010. During this period, he worked on initiatives related to cooperative development, emphasizing economic growth and community support.
- Animal Husbandry Minister (2010-2013): Following his role as Cooperative Minister, Giriraj Singh took on the responsibility of Animal Husbandry Minister from 2010 to 2013. This position allowed him to focus on the welfare of livestock and fisheries resources development in Bihar.
- Member of Parliament (2014- present): Giriraj Singh represented the Nawada Constituency as a Member of Parliament in the 16th Lok Sabha, starting from May 2014.
- Union Minister of State (2014-2019): In September 2014, he was appointed as the Union Minister of State with independent charge for the “Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises.” This role highlighted his commitment to promoting small and medium-sized businesses in India.
- Cabinet Minister (2019-present): In May 2019, Giriraj Singh took on the role of Cabinet Minister in the Ministry of Animal Husbandry, Dairying, and Fisheries. His tenure saw a focus on the growth and modernization of these crucial sectors.
- Minister of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj (2021-present): In a significant cabinet reshuffle in July 2021, Giriraj Singh assumed the position of Minister of Rural Development and Minister of Panchayati Raj, reaffirming his dedication to rural development and grassroots governance.
Throughout his political career, Giriraj Singh has been a staunch supporter of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and has actively worked to advance the government’s policies and initiatives. His roles in various ministries have showcased his commitment to empowering rural India and fostering economic growth.
As the current Minister of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj, Giriraj Singh continues to be a driving force behind efforts to strengthen rural governance and improve the well-being of people in India’s villages.