On 14 December dr. Jitendra: The establishment of Research Reactors in PPP mode for the production of medical isotopes in order to advance
the welfare of humanity through flexible treatment for cancer and other diseases, the establishment of Facilities in PPP mode to use irradiation technology for food preservation, and the linking of India’s robust start-up ecosystem to the nuclear sector by setting up Technology Development-cum-Incubation Centers in order to foster synergy between research facilities and tech-entrepreneurs.
The irradiation technology offers a broad spectrum of socio-economic and business benefits, such as food safety, security, and trade promotion, and owing to these attributes, the technology has been shared with various private entrepreneurs, Dr. Jitendra Singh pointed out.
Twenty-five food irradiation facilities are operational in the country in private, semi-government, and government sectors for irradiation of various products, the Minister informed.
This is so that FBOs and other stakeholders are made aware of the socio-economic benefits of irradiation technology.
- Disinfestation of insect pests in stored products as well as fresh produce,
- Delay in ripening and senescence in fruits and vegetables,
- Inhibition of sprouting in tubers, bulbs, and rhizomes,
- Decontamination of microbes responsible for food spoilage, and
- Elimination of parasites and pathogens of public health importance in food.
- Quarantine treatment of Agri-produce including fruits and vegetables can be achieved with irradiation which is a mandatory phytosanitary requirement for exporting agricultural produce to many countries. India has been exporting radiation-processed mangoes to the USA since 2007. Now export to Australia and Malaysia has also started.
Today, Dr. Jitendra Singh, Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Science & Technology; Minister of State (Independent Charge) Earth Sciences; MoS PMO, Personnel, Pensions, Public Grievances, Pensions, Personnel, Atomic Energy and Space, shared details of the reforms related to Atomic Energy proposed by Union Finance Minister on 16.05.2020.