When someone pays you a compliment, it can be difficult to know how to react. Should you say thank you? Should you downplay the compliment? Or should you just act like you’re used to getting them? Here are a few tips on how to reply to a compliment.
Thank you. If someone tells you that you have a nice dress, the simplest thing to do is say “thank you.” This lets the other person know that you appreciate the compliment and that you’re glad they took the time to give it to you.
Acknowledge the compliment.
If someone tells you that you have a great sense of humor, you might say “thanks, I try my best.” This shows that you’re aware of the compliment and that you’re grateful for it.
Downplay the compliment.
If you don’t want to seem like you’re too full of yourself, you can downplay the compliment. For example, if someone tells you that you’re a great singer, you might say “thanks, but I’m not that good.” This lets the other person know that you’re not arrogant and that you’re humble about your accomplishments.
Act like you’re used to getting them.
If you don’t want to downplay the compliment, you can simply act like you’re used to getting them. This will let the other person know that you’re confident in your abilities and that you’re not arrogant.
A heartfelt compliment is always nice to receive. But what do you do when you’re on the receiving end of one? Here are a few things to keep in mind when replying to a compliment:
1. Be genuine in your response. If you thank the person for their kind words but don’t genuinely feel gratitude, your response will come across as insincere.
2. Don’t downplay the compliment. Simply saying “thank you” is usually the best response. If you downplay the compliment or try to deflect it, you come across as humble but also not very confident.
3. Don’t fish for more compliments. Once you’ve received the compliment, let it be. Don’t try to fish for more compliments by asking questions like “Do you really think so?” or “What do you like best about it?” This will just make you seem needy.
4. Mirror the other person’s tone. If the person who gave you the compliment is being serious, then respond in a serious manner. If they’re being funny, join in on the fun.
5. Be gracious. A simple “thank you” is always appropriate, but you can also take it one step further by expressing your appreciation. For example, you could say “Thank you so much for your kind words. They mean a lot to me.”
Remember, a compliment is a gift. When you receive one, simply say “thank you” and enjoy it.
Compliments are a great way to make someone feel good, but it can be tricky to know how to respond. Here are a few tips on how to reply to a compliment.